Prime Minister Narendra Modi today announced major rural and urban electrification scheme, targeting the poor households in India.
The Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana ‘Saubhagya’ is a Rs 16,320-crore scheme to provide electricity connects to over 40 million families in rural and urban areas by December 2018.
Saubhagya uses clean energy; the PM said adding that the government aims to double the production from solar, hydro and nuclear projects. The project will result in 100 percent electrification in Indian households.
Below are the highlights from his speech:
- Focus should be given to energy efficient technologies like electric car and electric stove.
- Public entities like ONGC should focus on electric gadgets so that consumption of gas and oil can be reduced drastically.
- The price of LED bulb is reduced to Rs 40. The price reduction has had a great impact on the public, as seen by the growing interest for LED.
- The government has proposed separate projects for both urban and rural electrification. In addition to these, the government plans to bring two more projects to improve the efficiency of power distribution.
- Below Poverty Line (BPL) families will avail power free of charge.
The Prime Minister has admitted that India is going through a deep economic crisis. Over the last three years, Indian economy had been steady; however, for the last three months, signs of downturn have appeared, the PM said.